jeudi 10 août 2017



 Popje




It is such an endearing element about dollmaking: when children adopt a doll and play with it. At the same time you discover what needs to be changed or adapted next time, to make sure a doll survives life with a 3 year old child and remains in an acceptable state.

C'est un élément attendrissant dans l'histoire d'une poupée quand un enfant adopte une poupée et que celle-ci devient un petit camarade inséparable. C'est le cas de 'Popje' depuis que je l'ai fabriquée il y a deux ans. En même temps c'est une leçon dans le sens qu'il devient clair ce que je dois adapter ou changer une prochaine fois pour qu'une poupée résiste à la vie pas toujours tendre avec un petit de 3 ans.

'Popje' has been dearly loved for over 2 years now. Lots of cuddles, haircare and outside playing left their traces. From her once beautiful mohair 'coiffure', only threads remain.
I made her quite round and cuddely and weighted, with a Baby-Twink body and bottom. But apparently, I did not stuff her well enough and she became bulgy and she lost her chin. The very protective doll-mummy did not see any problem, so I  did not dare to correct anything even if it hurt my 'dollmakers eye'.

Popje était intentionnellement toute dodue et était alourdie avec des granulés. Mais je ne l'avais pas bien bourrée et le résultat est un corps et des bras quelque peu déformés et un passage menton-nuque pas bien défini. Pourtant, sa maman ne voyait pas de problème et donc je n'y pouvais rien corriger, même si cela me faisait mal à mon coeur de fabricante de poupées. Jusqu'au jour où le chien a joué avec et a abîmé les cheveux et une jambe et que j'ai eu l'autorisation de l'hospitaliser.

But last week, my granddaughter was very silent during dinner and when asked what was the matter, she whisperd with big tears in her eyes: "Popje!". She had left her doll outside and the new young dog had had a go at Popje's hair and one leg. And so I was allowed to take Popje home for hospitalisation. A blessing in disguise... for me.


It was agreed upon that I could also wash Popje and that she should get bigger feet "since she had also grown" - sofar, she had traditional Waldorf pointed feet and lost her shoes all the time.

Making new legs was the occasion to try the wool rolling method from Fig&me. It needs some practise, but I got quite a nice result after a few tries. The most complicated part was to make a smooth connection between the leg and the already stuffed foot and I still have to find a solution for this.

En concertation avec ma petite fille, j'ai lavé la poupée et je pouvais lui faire de nouvelles jambes avec des pieds plus grandes pour qu'elle ne perde plus ses chaussures. 
Pour rembourrer les jambes, j'ai essayé la méthode de Fig&me. Il me fallait plusieurs essais avant d'obtenir un résultat satisfaisant. Je dois encore trouver une solution pour faire une belle connexion entre la jambe et le pied déjà bourré. J'ai utilisé de la mousse de 4 cm pour étaler la laine, ceci facilite la manipulation de l'outil et comme la laine y adhère légèrement, ça facilite d'enrouler la laine d'une façon plus serrée.

I used a 4 cm thick block of needle felting foam to spread the wool on: the wool sticks a little bit to the foam, which helps to keep the wool stretched and allows you to wrap it tightly. The height of the foam also allows some space for your hand to roll the stuffing tool:


I forgot to put weight in the feet, but in the end with the rolling method, a new leg weighs 49 gr - the old legs, weighted with granulate, were 53 gr.


I did not change the rather sagging arms. I was afraid Popje would not be her own good self anymore. I just made them a bit smaller to match the new legs. I used the famous matrass stitch. One row roughly and one with fine stitches to leave a neat, almost invisible line.

Pour que Popje reste elle-même, je n'ai pas changé les bras, je les ai adaptés en les serrant un peu avec le point matelas. Ici j'ai cousu une fois avec des points larges et une deuxième fois avec des points tout fins, ce qui donne une couture invisible



And of course, this was the opportunity to add some more wool to the body and to tighten the chin/neck part and re-fix the threads really well.

Puis, redressement du menton et de la nuque et rembourrage du corps avec un peu plus de laine.



As for the hair, the wig was still OK, so I just took out most of the strands that were left and the Dolly Mo brushed wool I still had, was enough to make new strands of hair.

Comme la perruque n'était pas abîmée, je n'avais qu'à nouer de nouvelles mèches avec de la laine Dolly Mo brushed wool.


Happily reunited!


... and ready for new adventures.
Les retrouvailles et toutes les deux, prêtes pour de nouvelles aventures.


One more task: knitting new shoes.

Et pour finir, tricoter de nouvelles chaussures:






2 commentaires:

  1. Wat prachtig Aagje, super mooi geworden weer en wat lief weer bij haar poppenmoeder!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Dank je wel! Leuk dat je mijn 'doll-journey' volgt ;o)

    RépondreSupprimer